Glossary - explanation of terms
- Testator - the person who makes the will
- Executor - the person(s) who collect in the assets, pay the bills and distribute the assets to the beneficiaries.
- Beneficiary - the person(s) who receive a benefit from the estate according to the terms of the will
- Probate - the approval of the Supreme Court to the will.
- Intestacy - when a person dies without a will.
- Household chattels (where someone dies without a will) - there is a lengthy definition in the Wills Probate & Administration Act Section 61A (which is too boring to include) but it specifically excludes motor vehicles, boats, aircraft, racing animals, original painting, trophy, clothing, jewellery or other chattel of a personal nature.